CS Menu

An Expressive and Innovative Mixed Media Art Ezine for Paper Crafters, Collage and Assemblage Artists


Edgar Allan Poe Art Tag


By Chris / CS Designs

I've been wanting to create a digital stamp design with Edgar Allan Poe for some time now and just finished a new Montage Digital Stamp for my Goth Collection with him framed as the  main focal point and one of his popular sentiments underneath.

The Art Tag on the left was created with the new design and I rather like how it turned out. Art Tags have always been among my favorite paper art projects to create. They are not only alot of  fun to make, but they take very little in the way of supplies, are useful and make great personalized gifts.

Below you will find a step by step tutorial on how I created the tag and maybe even a few ideas to help you make your own Art Tags. The Edgar Allan Poe Montage digital Stamp and the very bottom layer on my tag have been colored with Oil Pastels and you will find a how to for that on the next page. After having only an inkjet printer for years, I now have two laser printers and love how they print and especially that the ink does not smear when I add some kind of art technique over it. Even if you have an inkjet printer, you may still be able to use this technique, some inks will wok and some will not, so just try it.
Prior to trying this method on one of your pieces, be sure to do a test run to see how your ink reacts. If it does smudge, you may still be able to use this method by heat setting your ink with a heat gun. Before I start any kind of art project I always gather and layout all the materials I will need to make sure that everything coordinates well and have everything I need,  this is especially true with my Art Tags. I often lay out several little piles like this on my desk to make it easier to create several tags in one sitting.  Below are the general materials I used for my Edgar Allan Poe Art Tag with a few additional ideas for variation.
Materials List:
Digital Designs used Edgar Allan Poe Montage, Art Collage text background from the Digital Engravings Collection.
Card-stock or text weight  patterned paper
(You can reinforce text weight paper to  make it suitable for a tag by gluing it onto a plain piece of card stock).
Glue or double-sided tape
( I prefer the tape)
Fibers, ribbon, lace, raffia or anything else suitable to use as the tassel.
Beads, Srickers or other embellishments. General tools Scissor, & Paper cutter to cut your various layers
Corner rounder for the top corners (this is optional as you can also make all your corner edges straight.
1 eyelet, and an eyelet setter. If you use a manual setter you may need a hammer, I have a Crock-a-Dial and it will both punch and set in one unite
You will also need a set of Oil Pastels if you wish to try the simple background technique. I have several boxes and while some are artist quality and more expensive, I also found a box awhile back in a dollar store, so look around if price is a deciding factor for you.

Making sure your hold is in the right place

Once I have glued and cut all my pieces, I stack each layer on top of each other in the order the finished tag will be then tape it down. The green bits on each side of the tag are pieces of painters tape. I use them to hold the layers in place while I mark, punch out the hole and set the eyelet.

 Painter's tape comes off of and can be repositioned on paper without ripping off a large chunk of your project the way other tapes do. The peach piece of paper on the left side of the tag is just a scrap strip and used as a guide to give me a better idea of where the middle of the tag is and where I should punch my hole. This works much better than eyeballing it. I always have small strips like this all over my desk left over from other projects. I fold the strip in half and line up the end to one side of the tag and make a mark where the strip ends. I do the same on the opposite side of the tag. Although you might think that doing it from one side would be sufficient, I have found that it is  always just a little bit off and the real center is somewhere between the two tiny marks.

The Funky Tool:  In case you are wondering about my tool with the pointy end, I made this a long time ago when a friend wanted to try pin pricking. There are commercial tools available for this but I couldn't find any where I live and had to improvise. I started out with an Exacto knifes handle which had a round opening for blades instead of the usual long slit. I cut off the top of a T-pin and wrapped some painters tape around the bottom to make it fit in the hole more securely when tightened.

Handy Tip: While the make-shift tool works well for marking the centers of tags and also for Pin Pricking, I use if for all kings of things which include:
Poking the holes in the arms and legs of my art dolls for brads
Removing the paper of of double sided tape. I type so much that I keep my nails short so this a great frustration saver.
Unplug the nozzles of my glue or paints when they become plunged.

Oil Pastel Backgrounds:
As an accompaniment to this tutorial you will find a mini tutorial on how to create oil pastel backgrounds on the next page.

<---  Previous Page
... Back to Main Table of Contents ...
Next Page --->

4 comments:

  1. Stunning tag and I really like your new design with Edgar Allen Poe! =)
    You really matched the colors of the paper with the ribbons!
    Hugs, Elenor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful tag! The new Edgar Allen Poe design is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tag and image of Edgar Allen Poe. Also thanks for the Tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping bye and for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) Chris / CS Designs