CS Menu

An Expressive and Innovative Mixed Media Art Ezine for Paper Crafters, Collage and Assemblage Artists


Altered Scissors Holder


By Margy Kieser
I purchased my first Christ Stern digital stamp in January this year, after reading the January issue of “Art With No Boundaries”, and what fun I had with the “Best Friends Montage”!   I knew when I bought it though, that I wanted to make something different and not put it onto a card (well not yet anyway). 

I found a cutlery box, one of a range of wooden items sold for decoupage crafting.  As I was getting increasingly frustrated with trying to find the right size pair of scissors in my collection, I bought this holder and converted it to a scissor holder! Works like a charm as I can now find the smaller scissors immediately, instead of trying to extricate them from amongst the arms of the larger scissors!

Method
1. Remove the partitions inside the box, and paint the outside and the inside of the box with the dark green paint. Also paint the partition pieces (both sides). Be careful not to get paint in the grooves that the partitions slide into!
2. Colour in the CS Designs digi stamp, and add white gel pen marks for highlights. I also coloured some areas with the metallic gold pen.
3. Cut out the image and glue it onto the front of the wooden box. 4. Using the metallic gold pen, draw a line around all the edges, and add dots as decoration.
5. If you want to add additional pictures on the side of the box, now is the time to do it. I added a diecut swirl.
5. Add a layer of Modge Podge over the whole box (over the printed image and diecut) and the partitions.
6. When dry, add a strip of glitter gems to either side of the image.
7. Push the partitions back into the box.
The box with my scissors

Materials used
Unpainted, wooden cutlery holder
Dark olive green acrylic paint (I mixed black and light olive green)
Wide, flat-end paintbrush (or a sponge applicator)
Printed CS Designs Best Friends Montage digi stamp (sized on the computer to fit the front of the box)
Modge Podge
Metallic Gold pen (Artline)
Glitter gems
Copic (E00, E21, E31, YR04, YR23, YG07, YG09, YG23) and Spectrum Noir (DR3, LV2, LV4, pens
White gel pen
In a nutshell, I am a Christian, widow, mom to 3 beautiful daughters, and granny to 5 absolutely delightful, grandchildren. I was born in the UK in a small town called Tunstall, one of the 5 “pottery” towns in Staffordshire. My parents emigrated to South Africa when I was 2 years old, and I therefore consider myself as a South African, with British and Dutch blood lines.

I grew up on a farm just outside of Johannesburg, where I spent more time ‘outside’ than I did in the house. I don’t have any formal art training, but can remember that all my school books were decorated with detailed, coloured pencil drawings, of animals and geological formations!  It was only after I turned 55, that I attended oil painting classes. Apart from painting, my other interests/hobbies are genealogy (already traced family lines back to the 1600’s), scrapbooking, restoring wooden furniture, mosaic, and card making and digistamp designing. I now own an online digital stamp company called Digistamps4Joy. I was a locust researcher (yes, the insect with 6 legs) for 15 years, and currently hold a Project Office Manager post for a research organisation.


For more of Margy's wonderful work please visit her blog Denique crafts

<---  Previous Page
... Back to Main Table of Contents ...
Next Page --->

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Margy. Love the cheerful colours you have used.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Margy, Thank you for sharing your wonderful Scissor Box in this issue, I love the colors and the extra bling on the sides. My scissors are also difficult to find as I usually have my scissors scattered all over my art room and this is such a fantastic idea for a project. I will definitely have to find something like this to play with myself.

    I also want to say Congratulations on winning the January Cover Art. I will be sending you your prizes very soon.

    It has been a pleasure working with you and hope you will consider doing so again some time in the future.
    :) Chris / CS Designs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Desire for your lovely comments. Chris, I was thrilled to work with this image, and thanks for my win for the January Cover Art! I've just opened the designs you sent me and they are stunning! btw ... I have NO regrets on the scissor holder - love it - and it works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scissors are lucky to have such a lovely home! Love the cheerful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful box you recycled and redecorated! =) Can't go wrong with the color green! =)
    Hugs, Elenor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous repurposing. Brilliant storage idea

    Annie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping bye and for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) Chris / CS Designs